Monday, December 16, 2013

Paying it Forward: Charleston Toy Drive

Inside the Ronald McDonald House! :) We were able to place the toys under this tree and another in the back, since they wouldn't all fit! 

I'm excited to announce we have PAID IT FORWARD in Charleston, South Carolina. My dad, Charlie Druelle, drove the big U-Haul truck filled with toys to give to MUSC Children's Hospital and the Ronald McDonald House. It was about a two hour drive! We dropped toys off at MUSC and the Ronald McDonald House. The only photos I have right now are at the Ronald McDonald House. I hate to say it, but I was very unhappy with MUSC. I felt like we were not welcome. Two staff members were sent out to help us unload the truck. The whole time we were unloading they both were rushing all of us. I wanted to get a photo of us unloading and one member rudely said, "You need to hurry this process along." (Needless to say I didn't get any usable photos here.)  I had to keep reminding myself this was for the children at the hospital. I had to bite my tongue. We did not have a convenient place to unload the toys, and we had to unload them at the front where patients were being discharged from the hospital. I felt like we were in the way, and we felt like our efforts to have these toys brought here were not appreciated.

ON THE PLUS SIDE, we had a WONDERFUL experience with the Ronald McDonald house. I want to give a special thanks to Jennene who made us feel so welcomed and appreciated. We shared stories and she gave us a tour. During our story time everyone, including myself, was in tears. Jennene shared with us that a Pectus patient's family, who had the Nuss Procedure like I did, had stayed in the house a couple months ago. I loved listening to all of the good things the RMH has done and still continues to do for the community of Charleston. I told her I would love to donate more to them in the future and possibly volunteer when I'm able. I told her if I lived close by, I would work there. That's how awesome she and her staff were. I was HIGHLY IMPRESSED! It was an amazing, heartwarming experience.
Unloading what I could at the Ronald McDonald House! :) 


Cathy and I unloading the rest of the toys at RMH

All of us! Cathy brought Carolyn from Rhode Island. DeAnna from Fox24 here in Charleston, who made the commercial, helped us unload as well!

This photo was featured on the Binkeez fan page! Check it out:
https://www.facebook.com/Binkeezforcomfort?ref=br_tf 



I am so blessed to have gotten this opportunity! Thank you so much Cathy O'Grady for allowing me this opportunity. Thank you Charlie Druelle and Cathy for making it possible! 



What I got out of this trip: 
I am definitely blessed. I have so much to be thankful for. It makes me appreciate the fact that Haiden is healthy, and doesn't have to go through what some of these children do. I'm so thankful he has not had to stay in the hospital for long periods of time. I've learned the simple things in life we take for granted are so big to other people. Jennene shared with us that a staff member was having a rough day at work. She was having to work on a holiday. She needed some help putting away some items at the House and a little girl that had cancer volunteered. Jennene said she had no hair and was sweet as could be. She sat down beside the staff member and started to clean. She said very proudly "This is the best day of my life, because I'm helping someone." I was in tears at this point. Little children have to go through so much sometimes, yet they're still willing to help someone else. We all could learn something from these children! This trip was such a blessing in time for the holidays! I know we made a lot of kids very happy this Christmas! 



No comments:

Post a Comment