Sunday, September 8, 2013

Surgery in the A.M.

          I figured I would blog about my upcoming surgery, instead of trying to put all of this in a Facebook status. I have not announced many details about my surgery due to the fact it is often considered a cosmetic surgery by most insurance companies, and there was a possibility I could be denied by my insurance. I have a chest deformity called Pectus Excavatum. It is something I was born with. The best way I know to describe it to people is a dent in my chest. I often call it my "Boobie Dent" (haha). Not many people know I have this issue. I stay away from triangular bikini tops like in these photos, since it is very noticeable. It is very hard for me to find bras that don't stick off of my chest. You can ALWAYS see down my shirt because of how my chest is shaped. Everything is sunken in and my shoulders go to the front, which created bad posture. All of this will change at 6AM tomorrow morning. I am constantly having to find clothes that do not draw attention to my body shape. I am so glad to be saying goodbye to my "dent" bright and early in the morning. I decided to share my story because not many girls have Pectus. It is more common for boys to have it rather than girls. I am also considering doing a video diary as well, but I haven't made up my mind! I am taking a break from college until January if everything goes as planned. I also won't be able to pick up Haiden for a few months, which is going to be the hardest on me. 


My stomach and ribs jut out as a result of my chest. Everyone with Pectus has the same problem. It's called the "pot belly". My ribs will still stick out after my surgery but it won't be so noticeable.


This is why I stay away from this type of bikini. The spot that looks like a shadow in the middle of my chest is my "dent".



THE PROCEDURE
      The procedure I am having done is called the Nuss Procedure. Basically a metal bar is inserted under my dent after two small incisions are made under each armpit. It will be flipped and PRESTO, the dent is gone. It's almost the same concept as popping a dent out of your car door. I will be in the hospital for about seven days for PAIN MANAGEMENT. I will be on a morphine pump and I will also have an epidural at some point after surgery. I am nervous about the pain, but even more so nervous about being put to sleep. I have never had surgery on anything, so I am worried. The surgery normally takes about 3 to 4 hours which isn't too bad. This procedure is normally done on teenagers, but I was so glad MUSC Children's Hospital in Charleston told me they would gladly perform the surgery even though they are considered pediatric. Since I am an adult, the bar will have to be left in for about 4 years instead of 3. After the 4 years is up, the bar will be removed and my chest will remain NORMAL! This surgery can be watched on YouTube, but I refuse to watch it. The way I have handled going into this surgery is to not think about it. I won't watch it or I will freak out tomorrow. Here is a link about the surgery: http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1970203-overview 




Why I have chosen to have surgery: 
         I have noticed as I have gotten older and having to chase Haiden around that I am often short of breath. I suffer from fatigue and feeling like I can't breathe. I am unable to take deep breaths, because it feels like it "catches" under my chest. I had the Pulmonary Lung Test done at MUSC last month and I am only using THIRTY percent of my lung capacity. I was told by the nurse that even Pectus patients can use up to eighty  percent of their lung capacity. She told me the fact I was only using THIRTY percent was not good, and I would feel a lot better after surgery. Having this surgery will give me more room for my lungs and heart to function properly. I also wanted to get the surgery done for personal reasons. Most girls opt for breast implants to hide their Pectus. Being small chested has never bothered me, but the fact I have a dent in between my boobs did bother me. Having breast implants would not fix my dent. Even as a little girl I had the same shape, it just worsened after puberty. I have terrible posture and I curve at the top of my back. I wore tankinis until the summer before 9th grade because I was so self conscious about my chest. Now I wear bandeau bikini tops with ruffles to hide it. I want to be able to fit into a bra NORMALLY. I don't want people to be constantly seeing down my shirts and dresses, since my bra sticks off my chest. I want to be able to exercise and play with my son without being short-winded. 

What I'm looking forward to: 
HAVING A NORMAL CHEST! The first thing I'm doing after I recover is buying all new bras and shirts with empire waists. Maybe I can run a marathon too ;) I am also looking forward to updating the blog with "After Pictures" of my chest. I can't wait to see the difference! I am also looking forward to my first summer at the beach with my new chest as well. I'm hoping my posture will also improve with the surgery! 


                           GOODBYE BOOBIE DENT! 

4 comments:

  1. Sera, even tho I am scared to death, I am soo excited at the same time. I can't wait to see the results and the fact you will not have to worry about the "Boobie Dent" any longer. Being able to breathe a full breath is going to be an awesome feeling. I love you Sera!

    Daddy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sera! I'll be praying for you and your recovery! I still want to come down to visit and meet little Haiden :) Love ya bunches!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sera,
    This is genetic in my family with my oldest brother John (56) having a very indented chest, his daughter's not as pronounced (she's like 28) and one of my nieces in my middle brother's family. Our friend, Matthew Looper (Andrew's friend) had the surgery last fall and is doing well. I will pray for you and all the little details. And reading your blog for updates!
    Mrs. Stephens (don't know if you even remember me, but Greg and Lauren went to school a little while with you at Aiken Christian)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have one of these dents to yet my chest and ribs dont stick out so would you say i have this same thing or soenthjng else?

    ReplyDelete